How Peirce’s FYI program inspired Diana Kirkland to share her wisdom with the next incoming class

COMMUNITY: Peirce’s FYI program built a camaraderie
between Diana and her fellow students

Today I wanted to share one more speech from our First Year Initiative (FYI) reception. I’ve previously highlighted the words of Sheena Goodman and Kenneth Davis, and I wanted to close with the words of Diana Kirkland.

As a current first year student, Diana told our reception crowd that being a member of FYI made her feel like a part of something bigger than herself, and how important that camaraderie is to pursuing her degree. Sharing study habits; tips for balancing work, education, and a personal life; and words of encouragement can make the difference for any student, especially one trying to navigate through their first year. Check out her speech below for her thoughts on the support offered at Peirce.

“Good evening Peirce faculty, staff, students, and guests.

My name is Diana Kirkland. I’m a member of the work study program for the Walker Center for Academic Excellence, a Peirce College Ambassador, and a proud first-year student with a 3.90 GPA thus far. I am honored to be standing here in front of you today because it is not every day that I get to address an audience. Tonight, I would like to speak to you, the second-year students, because you are now the vessel toward guiding the incoming and other first-year students.

Here’s something you should know. As first-year students, we look up to you. You have already acquired knowledge that is so important for us to make it to where you all are today. Your advice is an asset to us as we navigate through this college experience.

I was told by someone that you can only keep what you have by giving it away. We need to know the path you followed to get you to the point you are now. Your stories of successes and challenges will help us to create our own stories.

Tell me, how many hours did you spend studying or using the library? How were you able to manage your time between school, family, work, and home? When the road gets a little rough, what words of advice do you have for us? Yes, we want to know and can pass this information on to others.

As a member of FYI, I am so proud to be a part of something so much bigger than myself. And to see that you all have finished your first year, makes me know it’s possible for me to make it.

Please give yourselves a big round of applause because this is by no means an easy feat; if it were everyone would be pursuing a higher education. It takes time, confidence, commitment, loyalty, and most of all, a desire to learn. As a mother of six successful children, I know that I am committed to this journey.

So as you continue to advance in your studies, I just want you to know that we are all very proud of you. Thank you for paving the way for us as first-year students, and for the future students of Peirce College. You are an encouragement to us because through you, we know that our hopes, dreams, and aspirations are achievable.

Your assistance, should we ever need it, is instrumental because everyone needs some inspiration and motivation sometimes. And you give us that! Thank you very much for all you do in ensuring we make our goals a priority, for allowing us to know that our dreams can definitely come true, and for knowing in our hearts, minds, body, and souls, that we do deserve this!”

Thanks to everyone who participated in our FYI program this year and came out for our reception. We’d also like to extend a special thank you to all three of our student speakers, who shared wonderful words of wisdom with the crowd that night. If you’re interested in learning more about our FYI program in 2012, contact us at FYI@Peirce.edu or 215-670-9219.

• Prev Post
  • Next Post

LeaveComment