Get to know our newest Career Development Services bloggers

Career development advice and information is some of the most popular content on our blog and we want to ensure we’re providing our readers with all the resources we can. To accomplish that, we’re adding two new bloggers from the Career Development Services (CDS) team who will be bringing you new insights and perspectives on career development in upcoming blog posts.

You may have seen them on campus or in the CDS office before, but we wanted to introduce Robyn Dizes and Ed Hill on the blog, just in case you haven’t met them yet.

First up is Robyn, Manager of Career Development Services.

CAREER CONNOISSEUR: Robyn will be offering her insight
and advice on honing your career-related skills.

Q: Robyn, please tell us a little bit about yourself.

A: Hi! I’m Robyn Dizes, Manager of Career Development Services. I have over seven years of experience in academic advising, career counseling, and business development. I earned my bachelor’s degree in Interdisciplinary Studies, a master’s degree in Higher Education, and a Noel-Levitz Enrollment Management Post-Master’s certificate.

Q: How long have you been a member of the CDS team, and what important things have you learned along the way?

A: I have been a part of the Peirce family for six years, and have worked in CDS for the past four. Prior to CDS, I worked in Admissions for two years. I have learned to take a holistic approach when it comes to career counseling, which means the “whole person” approach. This approach demonstrates how to consider a student’s values, temperament, talents, and passions when trying to determine his or her best career fit. I’ve also learned the importance of being a good listener in order to better identify with a student or alum’s specific needs.

Q: What’s your favorite part of your job in Peirce’s Career Development Services department?

A: I really enjoy sharing in a student’s or alum’s success in securing a job or an internship. I also like being able to provide interactive workshops and events that bring theory to practice.

Q: What’s the best piece of advice you give students looking for jobs and internships?

A: Network and network some more! While social media networking, including Facebook and LinkedIn, is a necessity, please remember that face-to-face networking is still the best. I would also like to remind our current students and alumni about the importance of visiting Career Development Services early on in their academic careers. It is such a vital part of earning their degree — they should engage well before graduation time.

And now over to Ed Hill, Career Development Counselor.

EVENT AFICIONADO: Ed will be covering lots of
CDS events here on the blog.

Q: Ed, please tell us a little bit about yourself.

A: I’m Ed Hill, and I’m a Career Development Counselor at Peirce. I began interning at Peirce in 2010, and now work as a full-time Career Development Counselor, where I focus on student engagement and outreach. I earned my bachelor’s degree from the University of Pittsburgh and my master’s degree from Temple University.

Q: How do you utilize your experience to benefit Peirce students?

A: I help students by applying my five years of experience in providing counseling services to families and student athletes for the City of Philadelphia and Temple University to their needs. And my understanding of job- and intern-search strategizes was developed during my work with the Philadelphia Eagles, where I assisted players with transitioning out of the sport and into the workforce.

Q: What guidance do you provide to students in your role day-to-day?

A: I’m passionate about empowering students and helping them understand the many resources available to them. Students at Peirce have a great opportunity to not only learn, but to connect with faculty, business professionals, and peers, and I want them to take advantage of that every chance they get.

A: Remember that every person you meet is a potential connection to a job or career. Instead of searching for a job, sometimes it’s better to connect with the right people! If you find a mentor in your field of interest, you might learn crucial, behind-the-scenes information as to where to search for jobs and the best way to apply. By nurturing a mutually beneficial relationship with a mentor, you can find yourself ideally placed to develop new contacts and network for your next job opportunity.

The next time you see Robyn or Ed on campus or have a career-related question, don’t be afraid to reach out and say hi! You’ll be seeing more of them on the blog moving forward, providing the tips and insight they share with students every day.

Thanks to Robyn and Ed for sharing a little bit about themselves; we look forward to hearing your advice in upcoming posts! If you have any requests for what Robyn or Ed should cover on the blog, please let us know in a comment below.

• Prev Post
  • Next Post

LeaveComment