The 1865 Law Journal Editor and Paralegal Studies Student: Meet LaToyia Baskerville-Uzzell

The 1865: Peirce College Law Journal is a student-run, double-blind, peer-reviewed law journal, providing a forum for original articles written by attorneys, paralegals, legal professionals, legal scholars, professors, and law enforcement. Its goal is to address issues, trends, and compelling topics in the legal field as well as specific topics in the paralegal profession.

The 1865 is managed by Peirce College’s distinguished Legal Studies students, and overseen by practicing attorneys and working paralegals from the region. The editors have now been selected for this year’s law journal and we will be introducing them to you, right here on the Peirce College Blog.

Our first featured editor is LaToyia Baskerville-Uzzell. LaToyia is a Paralegal Studies student enrolled in the accelerated Bachelor’s-to-Juris Doctor program between Peirce College and Rutgers Law School. Learn more about LaToyia below.

Where are you from? I currently live in Bryn Mawr, PA; however, I am a military brat, having spent most of my later years in Virginia.

What is your educational background? After high school, I initially attended Virginia Peninsula Community College, formerly known as Thomas Nelson Community College, in Hampton, Virginia, in pursuit of a Business Administration degree. After having experienced advancement with Bank of America to Assistant Vice President, I shifted focus from the Business Administration degree program to my career advancement.

What degree are you currently pursuing, and what are your plans after obtaining your degree? I am pursuing a Bachelor of Science in Paralegal Studies, as part of the accelerated Bachelor’s-to-Juris Doctor program between Peirce College and Rutgers Law School. After obtaining my degree, I plan to work in the legal field, with a focus in education law.

What was the best part of your educational journey? The best part of my educational journey is the lifelong commitment to learning. Despite my hiatus from a formal institute of higher learning while raising a family and advancing my career, I benefited greatly from the on-the-job learning and personal growth I obtained along the way. My drive, commitment, and desire to learn each play essential roles in my educational journey and the adult-learner I am today.

What do you enjoy about the legal profession? I enjoy the analysis the legal profession requires.

What is your best skill related to the law? My best law related skill is the ability to think critically.

What are your hobbies and interests? I enjoy cosmetology, specifically, the creativity of hairstyling. Helping others interests me, therefore I look forward to providing pro bono legal services.

Congratulations on all of your accomplishments and hard work on the law journal, LaToyia!

Don’t forget to check the blog as we continue the series to learn more about The 1865 student editors. For more information and how to submit articles, please visit peirce.edu/1865Law

• Prev Post
  • Next Post

LeaveComment